Gallery Page 18 of 30
The Smithy at Work
Born in 1860 near Sassafrass, Tom King learnt the trade of blacksmithing and as a young man, moved to Sheffield. With only three weeks of schooling, he was a self-educated man who taught himself many skills and became a leader in the community and public affairs.

Tom King was elected to the first Kentish Council in 1908, and was a forthright preacher in Christian Brethren assemblies throughout Tasmania. His kindness and natural ingenuity led him to design and make calipers for his young nephew, Ralph Young.

The artist has cleverly incorporated a number of small animals into the mural. Eno, the artist’s own dog, is also depicted in the mural.
Painted in 1987 by: John Lendis assisted by Diane Whiting-
Location: 63 Main Street, Sheffield Size: 16.6m x 3.9m © Sheffield Inc
The Loft
Lofts were a feature of many rural town buildings. Up high and away from dampness and scavengers, lofts were used for long-term food storage for both the pioneers' provisions and stock feed.

At a time when families were mostly self-sufficient from the land, they were also treasured indoor play areas for children with many a plot hatched and a secret revealed therein.
Painted in 1987 by: John Lendis
Location: 63 Main Street, Sheffield
Size: 6m x 3m
© Sheffield Inc
Sponsor:
The Spirited Troopers
The Light Horse regiment was established as a Voluntary Defence Corps by an Act of Parliament in 1858.

The intention of “The Spirited Troopers” is to show the energy and exuberance of the wild colonial boys who formed the back-bone of the Sheffield Light Horse Squadron.

The Squadron formed a Guard of Honour when the Governor of Tasmania, Sir Ernest Clark and Lady Clark visited Sheffield in 1935.
Painted in 1990 by: John Lendis
Location: 43 Main Street, Sheffield
Size: 4m x 6m
© Sheffield Inc
Sponsor:

Early Trading at the Skin Shed
Trappers and snarers of the 1930’s came to trade their skins at the Wilcox Mofflin store on which this mural is now located. An integral part of the economy during the depression was the income derived from the sale of rabbit, possum, kangaroo and wallaby skins. In 1934 an estimated 1.5 million ring-tailed possum skins were brought to this store. Nowadays snaring and trapping of such animals is illegal in Australia.

The mural shows the manager of the skin store, Mr Norm Croome holding Mr Bill Steer’s skin laden horse. Beside Mr Croome is Mr Jack Dunn of Roland, known as the district’s greatest rabbit trapper. Further down is Mr Tommy McCoy another notable trapper and snarer. Inside the shed, the skins are hung up and dried, to be ultimately sold around the world for ladies’ and men’s hats.
Painted in 1988 by: Brigitte Hansen assisted by Andrew Evans, Maree Gent and Christopher Pagel
Location: Hope Street, Sheffield Size: 24.7m x 3.4m  
© Brigitte Hansen