Gallery Page 22 of 30
Discovering the August Plains
Nathaniel Lipscombe Kentish was appointed government surveyor in Van Diemen's Land in 1841. In 1842 he, with a gang of approximately 20 parole men, was instructed to survey a road from Deloraine westward to the North West Coast through lands used by the Van Diemen's Land Company. They started from Kimberley pushing through dense dark undergrowth in very wet conditions and were very discouraged by what they saw.

One morning, however, one of their party, a probationer known as “Old Bill” checked his snares and found tracks of good sized kangaroos. Following them, he suddenly came out of the bush and discovered open plains. As was appropriate, he carved “August Plains, 1st August 1842” on a tree, then hurried back to tell Kentish of the discovery. They explored the plains together for the rest of the day and Kentish wrote glowing reports.

Surveyor Kentish first named the area, August Plains, to commemorate the date they were discovered. The name was later changed to the Kentish Plains after the surveyor himself. Then later again to Kentishbury, and still later it was shortened to Kentish.
Painted in 1998 by: Bruce Lamrock assisted by Robert Mayhew, Dee-ann Lakin, Andrew Evans and Jacki Cooke
Location: 51 Main Street, Sheffield Size: 21.8m x 2.6m  
© Sponsor:  
Forth Falls
The mural depicts the second and most spectacular of a series of seven falls which once cascaded down Forth Falls Creek and flowed into the Forth River.

The falls were situated between Sheffield and Wilmot. When the beautiful Lake Barrington was formed as part of the Mersey Forth Hydro Development in the 1960’s some of the falls were flooded.

A picnic ground at the falls on the western bank of the Forth River was popular for family outings and groups since the turn of the century. From the picnic ground a steep track led to the second falls and the more energetic could climb the narrow ladders to view the other falls. The remaining falls still exist and can be reached by walking through bush from the Wilmot Picnic Site or seen from a boat on Lake Barrington.
Painted in 1990 by: John Lendis
Location: Main Street, Sheffield
Size: 12.5m x 6.75m
© Sheffield Inc
Sponsor:
Poppies
Painted in by:
Location: Railton Road, Sheffield Size:
© Sponsor: