Gallery Page 4 of 30
Christian Heritage
The historical roots of each Christian denomination in Kentish along with approximately 140 people are depicted in this mural. The mural shows the arrival of the first Methodist clergyman in 1860, the Christian Brethren evangelists meeting in farmers’ barns and the building of the Anglican and Salvation Army Churches.

We also see the huge crowds that came to respond to Joseph Lyons (later to become Prime Minister) as he appealed for funds to build the Catholic Church and the spectacular fire which gutted the Baptist Tabernacle in 1930. The mural includes an impression of the many who have left for overseas in mission fields.
Painted in 1988 by: Cheyne Purdue
Location: Pioneer Crescent, Sheffield Size: 12m x 2.4m
© Sheffield Inc
 
An Apple for the Teacher

Sheffield’s first school opened in 1867 in the Union Chapel. On Sundays the building was used as a chapel. Sheffield’s oldest remaining building, nowadays is used for a homemade icecream shop.

The first headmaster, Thomas Pullen, was a strict man and a leading figure in his church. His wife assisted him as monitor. They ran a farm at Barrington and every day walked the five miles (8km) trek, to and from Sheffield.


Painted in 1996 by: John Lendis
Location: 83 Main Street, Sheffield
Size: 6m x 3m
© Sheffield Inc
Sponsor:
Chinese Shopkeeper
In the 1930’s, Tom Lee rented the Union Chapel. He lived in the building and stabled his horse at the rear.

Tom was a Chinese hawker who not only had a shop at the front of the building but also would load his cart with goods and travel about Kentish peddling his wares.

The local children tormented him, nicknaming him “Mee Ching Ling”, running into his shop to ring the bell and hanging onto his cart as he set off down the main road.
Painted in 1995 by: John Lendis
Location: 83 Main Street, Sheffield
Size: 5m x 3m
© Sheffield Inc
Sponsor: