Barrington and Wilmot: Gallery Page 27 of 30

The Lost Child At Barrington

14th March 1880. Tragedy struck one Sunday morning when Isabella, daughter of Mrs Harriet von Bibra, disappeared from outside her home in Lower Barrington. A massive search continued for days with constables and volunteers from surrounding districts.

Even a £30 reward posted by her uncle failed to turn up anything. Well over a year later, after a bush fire had gone through the area, Isabella's remains, complete with her hat were discovered by a local farmer. One explanation for her death was snake bite.
Painted in 2009 by: Ron Hutchison
Location: Barrington Hall, Barrington
Size: 4.9m x 2.75m
© Barrington Hall Committee
Sponsor:
 

 

The Wilmot Bakery

This mural shows an incident in 1868 when Mr Mitchell and his friend had been celebrating and the dough had over-flowed.

This quaint mural can be found on the wall of the original Wilmot Bakery, built in 1893.

 
Painted in 1993 by: John Lendis
Location: Cradle Mountain Road, Wilmot
Size: 2.4m x 2.4m
© Sheffield Inc
Sponsor:
 
 
O'Neils Creek Picnic Reserve
 
O'Neils Creek originates from rain water from the watersheds off the western face of Mt Roland and Mt Van Dyke which flows into the Dasher River and eventually into the Mersey River.

O'Neils Creek is host to the iridescent dragonfly, frogs, yabbies, freshwater crayfish and platypus. There is evidence of logging from a bygone era and may encounter tree stumps with notches cut out of them for holding boards that were used by axemen or sawyers. Bullock teams or horses were used to skid out the logs
.
Painted in 2004 by: Alicia Swiderski
Location: Claude Road, Gowrie Park  
© Sponsor: