Tasmanian Cement Company 1924
Shown here is the Tasmanian Cement Company’s construction of their first kiln in 1924. The Company was purchased by Goliath-Portland Cement Company in 1928, which has resulted in a major source of employment for Railton residents in one of Tasmania’s major industries.
Painted in 1992 by: Cheyne Purdue
Location: Railton Township Size: 7.8m x 2.6m
© Sheffield Inc  
Come Rain or Shine
This mural depicts an early scene in Railton (circa 1900) when pioneer, Mr Steers would take his bullock team into town. Railton’s main roadway was wide enough to accommodate turning teams of bullocks and constant traffic in Railton, which had the only railway station in the Kentish municipality at the time. Mr Steers carting sacks of potatoes, would turn the team around and then stop at the pub for a drink.
Painted in 1999 by: Julian Bale
Location: Railton Township Size: 2.3m x 4.1m
© Co-owned by N & E Hurley and Julian Bale Sponsor:  
Winter Family Sawmill
The flow of Redwater Creek, which winds its way through the town of Railton was harnessed by the pioneer Winter family to operate a flour mill and a sawmill driven by a huge water wheel. Parts of the old race can still be seen today about one kilometre west of the Post Office. Samuel Winter was a hardworking man who donated much land for church and community use.

The sawmills played an important part in the development of the district which was once heavily wooded. Wagon loads of timber were pulled by bullock teams to Latrobe for shipment to Launceston or Melbourne. Later, when the western railway line was extended, Railton became the rail head for timber and other goods from the Kentish area until the Railton to Roland line was completed in 1914.
Painted in 1988 by: John Lendis
Location: Foster Street, Railton Size: 19m x 4m
© Sheffield Inc Sponsor:  
Railton’s Great Elephant Race
The mural is based on one boy's marvelous view of The Elephant Race, which took place in the late 1950's when the circus came to visit the town, arriving on the Railway.

Two prominent businessmen of the time - Len Field (General Store) and Fred Sipman (Butcher) arranged to race two elephants down the main street of Railton. This is a wonderful and unique story in Railton's history and one that has been verified by various sources. Wayne Muir who works at Cement Australia's Railton Plant is the original source of the story, who as a young boy watched the race. It is his memory of the race - as seen through his eyes as a young boy that the mural is based.
Painted in 2004 by: Margaret Odgers
Location: Kimberley Road, Railton Township Size: 12m x 3.7m
© Sponsor: